Tuesday, March 30, 2010

[untitled]

A brief explanation...
My desire for these two canvases was to reveal the contrast in the construction of identity of trauma survivors. I wanted to be able to express the tension between the differing perspectives of identity that are presented by Western media and the trauma survivors themselves.

The Mixed Messages of Mixed Media
In my first art piece, I used mixed media to express the Western concept of identity for trauma victims (individuals who have experienced extreme violence, genocide, war, etc). By using newspaper articles, online sources, and pages from a book, I wanted to reveal the kind of language that Western media uses to create identity. I feel as though the identities that the media constructs of trauma victims can be problematic as the media tends to portray these individuals as victimized, helpless, broken, and vulnerable. Although I do believe that these titles are true to an extent, they fail to portray the strength, passion, and beauty of trauma survivors. Which is why, for my second piece, I chose to use a wood canvas and used the more traditional art mediums of acrylic paint and watercolour. 

A Sunset and a Sunrise
My second piece is my favourte. I've decided that I absolutely LOVE working with wood canvases and hope to paint on many more of them this summer. I wanted this piece to express the pure & raw identities of trauma survivors that are self-constructed. Being in a major that deals heavily with issues concerning the developing world, I've come across many life narratives of trauma survivors. I've learned about the Lost Boys of Sudan, the Rwandan & Bosnian genocides, the war in Iraq, the deterioration of the Niger Delta, and countless other heart-breaking stories. Yet, in each story, I have been amazed by the personal accounts of survivors who, despite the struggles they face, maintain strong spirits and push forward in life. 


These two art pieces were specifically drawn in remembrance of the Lost Boys of Sudan. 27,000 ethnic Dinka boys who fled their homes during the Second Sudanese Civil War, fleeing first to Ethiopia, then back to Sudan, then into Kenya. More than half were lost along the way. I was specifically inspired by the personal stories of Benson, Alepho, and Benjamin, three lost boys who wrote the memoir; They Poured Fire on Us From the Sky. It is such an incredible testimony to God's grace, power, and love. Throughout the memoir, the boys hardly ever speak of their own personal suffering, instead their greatest suffering comes from separation and/or hearing that a family member has been hurt or lost. Rather than seeing themselves as helpless victims, I was amazed at their positive attitudes as they focused on the few blessings that they did have. 


Through the sunset/sunrise concept, I wanted to express the passion, love, and pride the boys expressed in their memoir as they remembered their family, culture, and country. Their rootedness to their past is such a beautiful thing to me, and I love that although they are willing and eager to move on towards a better future, they still remain fiercely loyal to their past and feel a sense of responsibility in the construction of their country's future. I want to dedicate these art pieces to the Lost Boys and Girls of Sudan, in hopes of a better future, yet in remembrance of a beautiful past that existed before the civil war.



6 comments:

  1. W O W !!!!!!!!! The art is amazing and you are amazing. You are going places girlie!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm pretty happy with the way they turned out too =) And they'll be showcasing at my program's conference next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you for sale? I'm looking for one more really cool daughter in law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the finished product! Especially the wood one, it looks really good:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, those are really incredible - you are one talented girl. And I love what you use that talent for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That art IS amazing, and I love how you captured the meanings behind them. I totally know what you mean. A lot of times in our culture and our media we portray those suffering as destitute and we don't see the strength or their fight for survival. Ive learned about livelihoods around the world where they practice subsistence agriculture and just make enough to survive, but they have fun festivities etc and enjoy life. We just think in our western world that everyone on Earth has a need for ALL that we have.

    ReplyDelete